Monday 4 July 2011

The Wonderful Godalming Food Festival 2011

I has been looking forward to the Godalming Food Festival all week, and it didn't disappoint. The weather was fantastic and my daughter and I were up and about early, so thought we'd go down straight away - also, I was worried that Pimpernel Fisheries would run out of their fabulous fish cakes before I got there. Thankfully there were still some left, so that was dinner sorted.

Pimpernel Fisheries stall is always beautifully presented, as you can see below. Gill also had some samphire for sale, which I love and which so rarely available, I had to get a bag to go with the fish cakes at dinner.


I was admiring the display and commenting that the seaweed really added to the presentation when she told me that they had discovered, by chance, that it also seemed to keep the flies away. So, if you are having a picnic on the beach, grab yourself some seaweed before you unpack the food.

Taking a break from the shopping, we watched the new Godalming Community Gospel Choir
They were excellent (after a few false starts due to microphone feedback) and it's hard to believe they've only being going a few months.

Then it was off for more tasting and shopping. Next up was a block of Sussex Charmer Cheese which I find is a great all rounder cheese. I use it in cooking, sandwiches and on a cheeseboard.
The final section of the market was the Italian Market, with wonderful breads, salami, cheeses, cakes, oils and vinegars.

Finally, as we walked back to the bus stop (a free shuttle bus was laid on all day courtesy of Toy Box - much appreciated by all, as Godalming has some really steep hills) there was a final delight - opera singers in Waitrose Car Park! Oh yes, the culture's not just in the yogurt in Godalming!

No comments: